What to do if you're involved in an accident
At the Scene
- Move to a safe area: If it is safe to do so, move your vehicle out of further harm’s way. If your vehicle cannot move, flip on your hazards to warn others. If you are unsure if your vehicle is safe to drive, please come by so that we may look at it for you. Our estimates are always free.
- Call the police: No matter what, always call the police. Even in minor accidents, a police report will help considerably when dealing with the insurance companies. Always cooperate but avoid admitting fault or blaming others while at the scene. Insurance companies can use this against you when determining fault and liability. Also, some people might opt to proceed with repairs out of pocket (not through insurance) and insist on not calling the police — do not do this! Always document the accident through a police report, no matter what.
- Gather information: Write down as much information as you can including: driver and passenger names, license plate numbers, insurance information, makes/models of all vehicles, witness information, location of accident, etc. Be sure to document the scene if you can. Take photos of the damages, vehicles involved, and location of the accident. All of this will be helpful during the insurance claims process.
After the Accident
- Tow your vehicle (if needed): If you do not have roadside assistance, please call Reed & Rush Towing (303) 877-7885. Provide your location, name, description of the vehicle and let them know to tow your vehicle to Wreck Effects Auto Body. We will help you get into a rental vehicle (if applicable) and assist you with your insurance claim.
- File an insurance claim: If the accident was not your fault, then you are considered the claimant and proceed with filing an insurance claim through the other party's insurance company. If you were declared at fault, then you are considered the insured and proceed with filing an insurance claim through your own insurance policy.
- Schedule your repair: If your vehicle is safe to drive and was not towed to our facility, then after obtaining your insurance estimate, please call and we will schedule you for repairs. We will set up your rental (if applicable) and handle the rest.